Sunday, January 24, 2010

Doughman

Ok so a few months ago I was watching this nardly show called "Man vs. Food" on the travel channel. The host, Adam Richman, did an event that was probably the greatest mix of competition and gluttony and inspired me to better myself and join in!
The competition takes place in Durham, NC (so Larissa and Brady we'll be booking a room in your hotel) over Memorial Day weekend and is a 4 person team quadrathon. The "Doughman Competition," as it's called, is set up into for legs: 1 running, 1 biking, 1 run/swim, and a final group run, but the twist is that each leg consists of an eating portion! How nectar is that? Not only are we trying to chase down about 200 other competitors we're also trying to shove food down our gullets quicker than them. There is so much action packed competition in this race I can already feel the nervous farts building up!
It's only been around for a few years, I think, but they've said that each year it increases by dozens of people and is becoming very popular. The money raised goes to the Durham Inner-city Gardeners, a program that helps teach kids life responsibilities through organic gardening. The event was created by a man named Jeff and 3 other friends "It was the brain child of 4 insane people who I happen to be friends with, and we put the event on each year working out of a house in Durham!" Crazy huh? Anyhow, after I saw it on "Man vs. Food" and realized it was relatively close I decided I wanted to do it. So, I gathered up 3 other hard core athletes and we had a group meeting. The group is comprised of Rebecca (my GF), Miriam (our friend), and Nathan (Miriam's husband/our friend). The meeting was basically a planning hour to come up with costume ideas because an added bonus is that we get to dress up for the race if we wish, which we definitely do. We never really came up with one good solid idea so if anyone out there has a good idea let's hear it!

Doughman Training from Jesse McDonald on Vimeo.

There is ONE cuss word in the song so if you have little ears around you might want to turn it down at second 41 and turn it back up after second 43. But if you're hard of hearing or just like cuss words CRANK IT!

So to the real point of this post, the group did a silent ballot and chose me to ride the biking leg of the race. Not wanting to let my teammates down, and wanting to beat some 14 year old girls on the pavement I'm starting a time trial work-out. My original loop was 15 miles because that's how long I thought my leg was, but after doing some research it looks like it'll be somewhere around 7-8 miles. But anyhow, I took the camera out on the ride with me and did another time lapse since the other one was so fun. It took me about 42:oo minutes to complete, but as I think about it that seems pretty fast. My bike computer may be lying to me since it said my average speed was around 16mph... ehhh it makes me look good so I'll stick with it!

4 comments:

Matt said...

cool post

Jeff said...

Nice post, and training video!! You will be thrilled to have the responsibility of rocking th ebike leg in this year's race! Trust me.

Just an FYI, The DOUGHMAN was not started and is not coordinated by Duke. It was the brain child of 4 insane people who I happen to be friends with, and we put the event on each year working out of a house in Durham! Registration will open soon, so be ready. We look forward to meeting you and your team.

-Jeff (DOUGHMAN Organizing Committee)

Jesse M said...

Thanks for clearing that up, Jeff. I wasn't totally sure who started/ran the event. I just saw Duke in the web address, Duke as a large sponsor, and that it was in Durham so I just assumed. But I want to make sure you get credit for your brilliant idea so I'll fix that. That's insane that only 4 people run this event, that's a lot of work! I must thank you and your cohorts for organizing this fine competition. Without innovators like yourselves the world we live in would be quite boring, so thank you very much for creating such an original competition.

Rebecca said...

Hope I survive!