Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Winter Break

Have you ever shoved your face into cake and as you're face down up to your ears in cake you realize "crap! I can't breath!"  Well, switch the cake for for snow, your face for legs, and instead of having cake and icing up to your ears it's snow up to your knees and your thought is "crap! I can't move!"  That's what happened about 10 days ago.  We received 17 inches of snow on February 5th-6th!  I love the snow and any time we get any I throw my snowpants and boots on and out the door I go.  Having gotten a total of 3 inches last year I was THRILLED to get 17, but that also meant... no riding.  I'm not going to complain and say I don't want the snow, but it did cut into my riding schedule.  Four days later the roads were fairly clear and there was a small berm on the side of the road to safely ride.  Then winter's friendly face showed again.  On the 10th we got another bout of snow, 10 more inches, rendering the roads unsafe again!  I took it all in stride and decided to just take a break from riding and trade in my cycling shoes for snow boots. 


Winter Break from Jesse McDonald on Vimeo.


 
You can tell by my face that I was reaching uncharted speeds 


So for the past 10 days I've been spending my time off from riding and work, sledding down the hill in the backyard with Bec, building a ramp, and building a rail to ride my snowboard on.  It has been a blast and there's still about a foot of snow left which means there is plenty more snow fun to be had.


Time spent riding - 0
Time spent in the snow - 10 days

2 comments:

Larissa said...

I love, love, love this post! I love sledding and it made me feel jealous. Nice rail snowboarding (or whatever it's called). That's impressive! Is there still snow up there? I want to go sledding!

Rebecca said...

That snow was fun. I'm glad we got to share in the sledding together... even though you made me run into that pile of snow and run over rocks til I got bruised. It was fun while it lasted!