Thursday, July 23, 2009

El Futbol!

So this past weekend Bec and I had the fantastic opportunity to attend a Gold Cup quarterfinal match down in Philly. It started a few weeks ago when I noticed that Financial field was going to be one of the venues for the Gold Cup, so I thought with it being so close I would just do a little browsing to see how much tickets were. Well... I will just say I found good seats for $60... $60!! I stood up, did an Irish joy jig, sat back down, and bought 2. I just couldn't believe that I could get quarterfinal tickets that cheap, and for 2 games, it was awesome! I realize soccer isn't as wildly popular in the US as it is throughout the world, and that this cup isn't necessarily a top tournament, but I certainly didn't expect the tickets to be as cheap as they were.
The games were exciting, but not more exciting than all the Honduran fans, they were CRAZY! It was such a site to see and it really made me want to attend a match south of the border. Honduras was matched up against Canada and was a great game. Both teams were evenly matched but Canada would be penalized in the box setting Honduras up for a PK and the only goal of the match, which gave them the win.
The second match of the night was the US vs. Panama. The US started out slow and sloppy giving up a goal at the end of the first half, but a different US team would start the second. In the first few minutes of the second half a goal by Kyle Beckerman would tie it up and would stay that way through the end of regulation time. Entering extra time I was confident that the US would finish the game on top. They had controlled the ball almost exclusively since the beginning of the second half and had a number of shots on goal so it was just a matter of time. But none of that mattered because a Panamanian defender would give a gut check with the bottom of his boot to Kyle Cooper in the penalty box setting Cooper up for a PK and giving the US the lead and in time the W!
As I walked out of the stadium with the excitement of the games still fresh in my mind, the blue and red police lights flashing around me, and the cops chasing down civilians/breaking up fights, I felt like I was walking on air. All in all... not a bad first professional soccer match!

A short video of the game

Gold Cup from Jesse McDonald on Vimeo.



Bec and me outside the stadium
The pitch Bec and I FINALLY get to blow one of the horns!US and Panama entering the stadium

photos courtesy of Rebecca Sior

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

You forgot to mention in your post that I called the MVP of each game (before the games even started!) because I am a super talented soccer scout.

Hope said...

This looks like a lot of fun! A def different crowd than the Eagles game when I'm scared for my life. And sometime, can I see your Irish joy jig?

Molly said...

I'm so jealous you got to go to this game! Andrew and I wanted to go to the El Salvador vs. United States soccer game (World Cup qualifier), but the tickets were really expensive and nearly non-existent. STINKS because the game is right in Sandy, UT. So yeah...jealous that you got to go!