Friday, July 31, 2009

Family Affair

This past Wednesday and Thursday Larissa and Easton paid a visit to the country. With Brady gone for two days on "business" in Texas (that's just what Larissa tells us but I think he's there as a coyote) she decided to take time to come up and see a few people before their move from DC back down to NC.
She wanted to meet up with both Bec and me, but Bec didn't want to. She used the excuse that she had workshops and curriculum planning with the other language teachers. It turns out that was true, however, I didn't have a way out so I ended up having to meet with her and cute little Easton.
We originally planned (planned as in the night before) that we would meet up for a late breakfast somewhere close and then Larissa would leave to meet up with Pappy, a dear old gent, for a quick visit. Well I couldn't find anything close for Larissa and me so we decided to meet a little later and closer to pappy's house so we could all meet. In my infinite wisdom I thought it would be a great idea to ride in to Mifflintown to meet everyone. Of course there is a long, fairly steep mountain between home and there. With a soccer game later that day, I figured it would be best if I drove to the top of the mountain and started there. That couldn't have been a better idea because after riding 22 miles I could have only ridden that 3 mile 1300 vertical climb once. It actually wasn't too terribly bad, but the last quarter mile or so got really steep and after 2.75 miles it rendered my legs nearly useless.
After I got to the top and I could feel my legs again, I thought back on the memorable, thrilling, and timeless 30 minute lunch I had with Larissa and Easton and realized it was all worth it! Although it was short, I'm still glad that we were able to get together and that I could see Easton. It's nice to have family back on the east coast!




Getting stuck in construction traffic
Juniata River outside Mifflintown










My max speed going down the mountain

3 comments:

Larissa said...

My husband is a closet cowboy. He goes down and rides bull every once in a while. He is employed by PBR-shhhh. Dang straight our 30 minute lunch was worth it! And our total time together was like 2 hours, but you probably didn't even notice because time flies when you're having fun. Glad you made it up the mountain alive. And, I look ridiculously pregnant in that one picture which is not fair because I swear I don't look like that (and don't tell me otherwise).

Rebecca said...

sorry I missed the lunch and company. not sorry I missed I the bike up the mountain. not sorry I missed looking more pregnant than I usually do (which should be NOT AT ALL) in photos.

aaaaannd 46 miles per hour is too fast for most cars. I forbid it on a bike from this point forward.

Molly said...

Haha! Jesse, you are crazy. 46 mph on a bike?? Ridiculous. I would have been screaming and possibly peeing myself.

As for the pictures with Pappy and Meem... how cute! I love them. And I love Larissa and Easton. What a cute crowd you got to hang out with.